Import mixed breed dogs from the US

• Thank you - this was my next question. I found this on the previously provided website: "Before traveling, you should make inquiries at your local competent office of public order if you have any doubts about the breeds of dog classified as dangerous or about the documents required."
    What is the local competent office of public order? Would that be the German Federal Police?

No, it is the „Ordnungsamt“. The authority in Germany for everything which is concerning public safety but isn‘t to full of action. They are keeping an eye on parking in the right places, the height of fences, if the neighbours are quiet enough and on the dogs (and much more). A Friends of mine keeps calling them „the most german authority“.
    But they aren‘t federal. Your problem is the federal law. So I would stay with customs and/or the „Bundespolizei“

• Thank you - this was my next question. I found this on the previously provided website: "Before traveling, you should make inquiries at your local competent office of public order if you have any doubts about the breeds of dog classified as dangerous or about the documents required."
    What is the local competent office of public order? Would that be the German Federal Police?

Ultimately the border patrol will decide whether your dogs will be allowed to enter the country so I would stick with them. The border patrol is now called German Federal Police (Bundespolizei).

• I´d give the German Customs Office (Zollamt) a call. Should be their job to check the regulations for those specific breeds.
    Maybe this will be of any help:
    SoKa (“Sogenannter Kampfhund”): Germany bans certain dangerous or aggressive dog breeds (so-called Kampfhunde, “fighting dogs”). You are not allowed to import or bring in certain breeds, including pit bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers, and other dogs descendant from any of these dogs. If you are not sure about your breed of dog, it is wise to check in advance. Also see: Rasseliste – Wikipedia – A guide to prohibited breeds (SoKa) in Austria, Germany and Switzerland (in German).
    https://www.german-way.com/for…-dogs-or-cats-to-germany/

The hound mix shouldn´t be a problem and will probably be treated as any other large dog, as long as you did the required vaccinations and so on. I´m not so sure about the bulldog mix though. But th German Customs Office or the German Federal Police should help you with that. At least they´ll hopefully point you into the right direction.

However I wish you all the best of luck, passing german laws is anything but easy :D

• Seit wann faellt der Import von Tieren in den Bereich der Bundespolizei und nicht in den Bereich der Zollverwaltung? :???:

Mal auf Deutsch, weil schneller: Es geht ja nicht „nur“ um die „Ware“ sondern auch um gesetzliche Bestimmungen. Und der Grenzschutz entscheidet nunmal, wer oder was ins Land darf und wer oder was nicht. Und der Grenzschutz ist halt die Bundespolizei.

• If I were you I would register at http://www.kampfschmuser.de
    The people there are very helpful and know the laws concerning dogs in their sleep.
    Are you working for a military employer? In that case it would be much easier even if your dogs fell under the ban. As far as I know your dogs will be judged by apperance unless their papers are from a recognized kennel club. I assume they're mixed breeds so no paper will be recognized by German authorities.

• Hey @mellymel.
    We just moved from New Mexico to Germany last September.

If you wanna know something about the flight itself, just let me know ;)

Your breeds don‘t sound like „listenhunde“ to me but to be sure I would contact German customs or maybe the vet at the airport.
    We called the vet at Frankfurt airport to get information about the health certificate.
    But in the end there was nobody at customs when we arrived. So nobody carred about the shoots and certificate.

Do you already know when you will move?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!