zwischen Vizsla, Ridgeback und Basenji

• Hallo Alle Freuden,

Ich debatte mich zwischen Vizsla, Basenji und Ridgeback. Eigentlich ist mein Traum Ridgeback. Ein Traum!
    Aber ich bin nicht sicher, dass es ok für meine Wohnung ist

Ich habe erfahrung mit Hunden, aber nicht mit beide Rasse.

Ich wohne allein, in 60 meter Wohnung, mit eine großen Terrasse, gegen den Gartens. Es ist das gebäude Garden, nicht mein Privates, aber es wird sehr gut für die Hündin und mich dort immer Spielen. Es sind auch einigen Kindern im Gebäude, alle warten und begeistert über der zukunften Hunden.
    Zwei minutes bei Fuß gibt es ein großen Park, wo sind immer viele Hunden.

Ich weise, dass alle Rasse viel sport, Aufmerksamkeit und mental Herausforderung brauchen.

Ich habe im Internet versucht und einige Sites sagen, dass Ridgeback besser als Vizela ist, andere sagen umgekehrt. Anderen empfehlen Basenji. Anderen sagen Basenji ist undenkbar für eine Wohnung.

Können Sie empfehlen, Bitte?

Danke,
    Meir S

• Es sind auch einigen Kindern im Gebäude, alle warten und begeistert über der zukunften Hunden.
    Zwei minutes bei Fuß gibt es ein großen Park, wo sind immer viele Hunden.

Dafür wären meine RRs definitiv nicht geeignet. Weder für Hundewiesen noch für kleine Kinder noch für Fremde im und am Gebäude.

RRs sind sehr ernsthaft territorial veranlagt, haben jede Menge Schutz- und Wachtrieb, oft einen exorbitanten Jagdtrieb und neigen dazu, eigenständig Entscheidungen zu treffen - die nicht immer im Sinne des Menschen ausfallen.
    Sie spielen (wenn sie spielen) sehr körperbetont und oft zu grob für andere Hunde.
    Sie sind groß und sehr kräftig, kräftiger als ihr Gewicht es erwarten lässt, dazu wahnsinnig schnell.
    An der Zusammenarbeit mit dem Menschen haben sie mal mehr, mal weniger Interesse.
    Bekannt für ihren Will-to-please sind sie nicht. ;)

Was erwartest du denn von deinem Hund?
    Welche Eigenschaften sind dir wichtig?
    Was hast du mit dem Hund vor?
    Nach welchen Kriterien hast du diese drei Rassen in die nähere Auswahl gezogen?

(Rasseportrait Ridgeback)

Wenn du dich für den RR interessierst (gilt natürlich auch für andere Rassen), versuche so viele wie möglich kennen zu lernen.
    Gerne auch die Rassevertreter, die nicht unter "problemlos" laufen - dann weißt du wenigstens, was dich erwarten kann.
    Melde dich doch im Ridgebackforum an und schau, ob nicht mal ein Treffen in deiner Nähe stattfindet!

• Entschädigen mit, antworte ich bei English. Ein sichen leichter für mich, ich zu explizieren.

For the dog (or female dog, which i prefer), i do not expect her to be friendly, but hopefully not aggressive.

I am a loney rieder, and i do not mind she will prefer me, or herself. But as there are small children, i do not want her to scare them. This is important. Ignoring them will be Perfect.

I am alone in Deutschland, so i am a little embarrassed to say, i look for a companion for life.
    I hope to ride the bike with her, ride to the sea (when possible) and 'listen' when i play the piano, or stay with (or on me...) when i lay on my sofa, read my books.

It is important for me, a good, strong but not aggressive, energetic , independent, (not a 'center of the party' kind of dog, that makes tricks all are happy to see) and not make problems to the neighbours.

I hope i can have a RR. i have some experience with a problematic RR, in a shelter. I decided not to bring him, because of the neighbours. SO, i am familiar with their strength and ability to use it by pulling the leash or trying to keep on going, when i try to turn his to the other side while walking. But, i think, they have beautiful heart, even though their size and strength. The dog resist me, strongly(!), but i think i could have manage after a time, a would have gained his confidence and my as authority. he was a good dog!

Well, Pinky4, thanks for your reply and I hope to hear from you,

Yours,

Meir

• Puh, so I have to answer in my best school-English... :lol:

My Ridgebacks are brother and sister. They were from the same breeder, they had the same way of education, the same ancestors, ...

My male dog is a nice, clumsy bear. He hunts everything that moves, so he has to stay on the leash.
    He defends our house and garden, but not as aggressive as my female dog.

And my female dog, his sister...
    She doesn't like people at all - except our family. She barks and growls and shows her impressive teeth. She has never bitten anyone - but maybe that's because I control her every second.
    I don't know if she would bite - but I also don't want to find it out.
    I would never want to come closer to children with her.
    In our familiy she is cute and tender. But living in a big city or a house with more flats would be terrible for her, for me - and for other people who lived there.

And I know many Ridgebacks that aren't friendly to other people or other dogs.
    Perhaps you'll be lucky and your Ridgeback will be a clumsy bear, too.
    Or maybe you'll have bad luck... The chances are unfortunately rather high.

RRs are wonderfull, intelligent, beautiful dogs.
    And some of them are quite easy to handle.
    But a lot of them have problems with having people on their territory, with other dogs or even with children.

I would advise you to look for an adult Ridgeback that is used to living in a flat and having closer contact to children.
    But most adult Ridgebacks that are given away have problems with children or with visitors.

If it is important for you, that your dog gets along with your neighbours and their children, I probably would not buy a Ridgeback.
    Or I would develop one or two or three... plans what to do if it doesn't work.

By the way...
    A lot of Ridgebacks don't like water... :lol:
    Jogging along the beach - yeah!
    But if there would be a possibility to get wet paws... NEVER!!!

• Danke Sehr Pinky,

Deine Englisch ist besser als meine Deutsch, das ist sicher...

It is very confusing,

One site says Vizsla are excellent for apartment -
    http://www.dogsworld.co.il/dogs-3481.html (in Hebrew but they get 9 for apartment and 10 with kids.
    another one says it totally not possible, and that they have barking problems -
    http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/vizsla#/slide/1

there they give 4 starts to RR for an apartment, also with Kids!!!

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/rhodes...eback#/slide/8

My hesitations are not because of ME or the efforts it takes. I am well aware of it. I only concern the (German) neighbors. I do not want him or her to make them problems, by a noise of aggressive behavior. But my dream is RR.. but again, German Neighbours... ;-(

Ihr ergebener,

Meir

• Hello mshilo,

in my experience, Vizsla are very soft and sensitive dogs. Sometimes a bit anxious, can be difficult to leave alone and can be scared of loud noises. But mostly very sweet with people, not territorial at all and without guarding instincts, so very unlikely to make problems with the neighbors or children. Also mostly very social with other dogs, have very little potential for dog/dog agression.

They are very energetic, need lots of exercise both mentally and physically, have a strong hunting instinct/prey drive. But so have RR and Basenji, they Vizsla might be the one out of the three breeds that is the easiest to train because RR and Basenji are both very independent dogs, whereas the Vizsla as a gundog is pretty well trainable if you generally know what you are doing.

Basenjis are rather quiet and clean dogs, so great for a smaller apartment (also easier to find a new apartment with a smaller dog if you need to move, landlords are always happier with smaller dogs), provided they have enough exercise. They are also very agile and energetic. They can be quarrelsome with other dogs, especially the males can be hot-headed.
    They are usually reserved with strangers, not very territorial and guardy, but don't neccessarily like to be touched.

RR, in my experience, tend to be same-sex-agressive towards other dogs. The best of them are rock solid, stable characters, but many today are overly sensitive and fearful of new situations and strangers. I know many RR's who are 45 kg scaredy cats and that's not fun, especially as they mostly also have a low threshold for defensive agression.
    I'd look for a breeder with a few generations of their own breeding behind their belt (as it is kind of a fashion breed at them moment, there are many breeders who have bred only a few litters by now... their dogs are not neccessarily bad, but it's way more difficult to say something valid about your breeding line when You only had a hand full of litters), who has a house full of dogs of a stable, reliable character and values a self-assured, anxiety free temperament in their breeding stock.

• Sehr geehrte Marula,

ich denke Ihnen sehr!

I agree - I need to look for a breeder with a few generations of their own. Even if it will cost more. (For RR, which i have already searched for - it is twice more. I had already one experience, meeting with a breeder, and had the instinct not to take the puppy because it was thier first-time experience and the owners seems not relax to me. i did not like it)

Thank you for the detailed and valuable information.
    Actually i started with the RR - it is my favorite. There are the biggest and strongest (so strong!) from the three. Still, from my, indeed short and not enough, experience, i got the impression that they are tend to be 'cats' inside this big body.
    But, as you mentioned the size may be important for Vermieter, so i thought about Basenjis or Vizsla. Size consideration is Basenjis. But, my concern with Basenjis is that they are runners, and i am not sure the neighbours will like them, if they run away from my Terrasa.

So, again, pro and cons. If i was now in my home country, with the same apartment i have, in the same area (quiet, relax, parks-area of the town. totally not the center) i would have taken RR. But, i will need to think more.
    The three will need my close attention and physical and mental challenges, which i am aware and except. I am a lonely-rider, especially here in Germany. So, we will be all the two of us, and i am good with animals (and children).

Yours,

Meir

• But, my concern with Basenjis is that they are runners, and i am not sure the neighbours will like them, if they run away from my Terrasa.

In my opinion none of these three dogbreeds would stay at your terrace without you - maybe they even wouldn't stay (without a leash or a fence) if you're with them. They all have a very strong hunting drive.

• In my opinion none of these three dogbreeds would stay at your terrace without you - maybe they even wouldn't stay (without a leash or a fence) if you're with them. They all have a very strong hunting drive.

yes, du bist richtig!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!